Thursday, January 15, 2015

INTERIOR STYLIST IMOGENE ROACHE






Working in a large publishing house where there are multiple "homes" titles, catering to different sectors of the market, you get to meet a range of stylists. However, these encounters tend to be fleeting as "in-house" stylists are often out on shoots, on the sourcing trail, or riding the goods lift trying to track down couriers. During my time at Bauer Media (formerly ACP), I came across the always stylish Imogene Roache. She was sweet and kind, and never seemed flustered. Imogene always gave the impression that she was happy to be there, doing what she was doing. And while she's still quite young, Imogene has plenty of experience under her belt, thanks to her time on staff at House & Garden magazine. Now, working as a freelancer, she is working for a range of publications, and advertising clients, as well as pursuing personal projects, as displayed in the imagery above.

Which five words best describe you? Calm, loyal, independent, ambitious and in-love.

How did you get your career start and what path have you taken since? I discovered what a "stylist" was just before leaving high school, and instantly became obsessed. Without wasting any time, as soon as I graduated year 12 I landed a fashion assistant role at YEN magazine assisting stylist Imogene BarronA year later I realised my real passion was interiors, and got straight into assisting some of the best interior stylists out there. A few months later, all my hard work paid off and I was given the role of junior stylist at House & Garden magazine. Soon after I moved up to stylist and had taken on House & Garden's food shoots, as well as interior pages. After four years passed I knew I had the experience and skills to take my career further, and as of this year I have been freelance styling in the big wide world.

What’s the best lesson you’ve learnt along the way? Trust your instinct, be grateful, and always stay inspired.

What’s your proudest career achievement? Being only 24 I feel way too young to answer this just yet. But I guess I am most proud of the progress I've made in my career path so far. All of the unreachable goals I gave myself at the beginning of my career I have achieved, and I'm proud of that.

What’s been your best decision? Jumping straight into my career at an early age. When I have an idea or goal in my head I have to do it asap - so the best thing I ever did was jump into the unknown and to see where it would take me.

Who inspires you? My unbelievably creative friends, stylists - local and overseas, my partner for his endless knowledge and ease at being happy, and my mum in every way.

What are you passionate about? Organising, learning, creating good work, beautifully made objects, delicious food and, more recently, gardening. 

Which person, living or dead, would you most like to meet? Japanese flower artist Azuma Makoto.

What dream do you still want to fulfil? I have thousands! But the one dream I get more excited about every day is eventually buying a house and filling it with everything I love.

What are you reading? Elle Decoration, Gather Journal, and taking notes from Down to Earth: a guide to simple living by Rhonda Hetzel. 

images courtesy of imogene roache

No comments:

Post a Comment